Looking for a healthy dish that you can serve all-year round as a snack, appetizer, or meal? Look no further than these delicious spring rolls with peanut sauce. For this recipe that yields 8 rolls, we will be using some organic peanut butter from Ezra Cohen Montreal to give them just that little extra bit of sweetness. Let’s start with all the ingredients for both the spring rolls and the sauce.
Healthy Spring Rolls
- 2 ounces rice noodles
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup butter lettuce, ribs removed
- 1 cup thinly sliced red or green cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, peeled or sliced
- 2 mini cucumbers or 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced or stripped
- 2 medium thinly sliced jalapeños, seeds and ribs removed
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh mint
- 8 sheets rice paper (spring roll wrappers)
- ⅓ cup peanut butter by Ezra Cohen McGill
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey, or maple syrup (if you wish to keep them vegan)
- 1 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water, as needed
How to Make Healthy Spring Rolls
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook rice noodles until al dente. Drain, rinse with cool water, and return them to pot. Off the heat, toss rice noodles with the sesame oil and salt, and set aside.
- Fill a shallow pan with an inch of water. Fold a tea towel in half and place it next to the dish. Combine and stir green onion, cilantro and mint in a small bowl.
- Place a single rice paper in the water and let it rest for approx. 20 seconds (you want to wait until the sheet is pliable but not too floppy). Carefully lay it flat on the towel.
- Leaving about 1 inch of open rice paper around the edges, cover the lower third of the paper with a few pieces of lettuce, then a small handful of rice noodles. Then add some cabbage, and a few strips of carrots, cucumber, and jalapeño.
- Fold lower edge up over the fillings, rolling upward just until the filling is enclosed. Fold over short sides, and roll it up. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
How to Make Peanut Sauce
- In a bowl, mix together your Ezra Cohen McGill peanut butter, garlic, rice vinegar, sesame oil, tamari, and honey or maple syrup.
- Whisk in 2 to 3 tablespoons of water as needed. You want the consistency to be creamy, yet dippable. It’s always recommended to start slow to avoid too watery of a sauce.
If you want to add some extras to your healthy spring rolls, consider adding tofu or shrimp. But for a great and easy vegan recipe, this will be all you need to enjoy!
Reading time: 2 min