The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, low-carb diet that allows you to eat many of the foods you love while still losing weight, including delicious treats like these keto almond butter cups. We love these almond butter cups because they’re incredibly simple to make (just 5 ingredients!) and take care of our sweet tooth without setting us off our diet goals. After just one bite we know that you’ll love them, too.
Key to making these almond butter cups keto-friendly is to follow a few simple rules:
- Use coconut oil. Coconut oil contains certain fats called medium-chain triglycerides, which are rapidly absorbed in the liver where they’re either burned for energy or converted into ketones.
- Leave out any refined sugar. Refined sugar is a big no-no for the keto diet since it can inhibit your body’s ability to enter into ketosis. Stick to sugar alternatives instead, like Stevia or monk fruit sweetener.
- Be wise in your chocolate choice. To the point above, you’ll want to only use sugar-free chocolate, which includes chocolates that are sweetened with artificial sweeteners. Or you can just go plain sugar-free, which is what we opt for in our recipe since it gives you more control over overall sweetness.
Okay, ready to get cooking? Here is our recipe for super simple—and simply delicious—keto almond butter cups.
½ cup + 2tbsp coconut oil
½ cup Natural Almond Butter from Ezra Cohen Montreal
1 tsp Liquid Stevia or alternative sweetener of your choice (play around with this amount if you prefer your food more or less sweet)
½ cup sugar-free dark chocolate
- Line an 18 cup mini-muffin tin with liners and spray each liner with a light mist of coconut oil spray. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan set over low heat, combine ½ cup coconut oil with ½ cup Natural Almond Butter from Ezra Cohen Montreal. Once combined, add sweetener and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt together sugar-free dark chocolate with the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Make sure to only use low-heat and to check progress in 15-second intervals. Once the chocolate is almost fully melted, stir to combine until smooth.
- Drop a spoonful of chocolate mixture onto the bottom of each muffin liner and spread it so it covers the bottom. Then put a teaspoon or so of the almond butter mixture on top and press down to flatten. Cover with remaining chocolate. Sprinkle each cup with sea salt.
- Place in the freezer until set. Then enjoy!